Wednesday, February 20, 2008

APARTMENT

Here I take my stand, brethren.

I just won't pay more than I paid for King Henry. I normally wouldn't even have paid as much as we do pay for King Henry right now. But I didn't have much choice coming off of the mission.

This may be stretching the doctrine, but I think that to live in a place such as Alpine Village is going against our current Prophet's counsel to live within our means. I know that our parents in some cases are willing to pay as much, they have those means. But imagine us being cut off from our parents, we would not be able to live in Alpine Village and live within our means simultaneously. We should not want to try. It just is not realistic for us as college students. I think there are many lessons to be learned from living in humble lodgings that we have yet to learn. Those of us who plan on starting families in the near future have to get weaned away from such cushy amenities and get used to living like the poor college students we really are.

Personally, I like the idea of living in something of a dump like Campus Plaza and staying close to campus. Call it foolish masochism, I call it prudent minimalism. Many great men who have gone before have had to live in such conditions. On the other hand, do any of us know any great people who have had everything they wanted just given to them?

Also, this way we can keep members who want to follow the group, like Mike Rees, without lying to the Alpine Village owners by saying he is a BYU student when, in fact, he is not.

Of course the idea of settling for less when you can have more seems to go against modern popular wisdom, and I think that's partially why I like it. "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less travelled by. And that has made all the difference."

I am Josh. I am a bold Lamanite.

6 comments:

Jeremy said...

$300/month has been stretching me as it is and I just don't think I can do more. I love you guys and I love us all living together which is why I've put up as much money as I have this last year but independent of my desires to remain with the elite is my ability to pay more for an apartment.

J. Guest said...

Some of my top picks:
1. Campus Plaza 669 E 800 N - $225 for 6 , $265 for 4, free high speed internet.

2. Park Plaza 910 N 900 E (1 block from campus) $195-$240

3. Moon Apartments 680 N 300 E (1 block from campus) $250, free high-speed internet and cable, reserved parking spaces.

4. RA's in Heritage/Helaman Halls

Anonymous said...

Bravo.

I don't see that as any stretch of the doctrine. That is exactly what it means. The idea of college, pre-marriage, is to get ready to live on your own and to gain a sense of self-dependency. The more financially independent you grow from your parents through your years of school, the better off you will be when you begin a family. It won't come as a shock to you when your parents are no longer supporting you.

I don't see how anyone would consider minimal living masochism, in any way. Socially, it will be great for you. I don't know that you guys understand that a lot of us girls really like guys that are willing to and will actually put the work into something that's important to them. It says a lot about your level of commitment, and a really healthy level of commitment is so attractive. And I would hope you expect the same, in return. Girls who have everything handed to them have a hard time being independent when they start their own family. That's not to say great women aren't living high class lives in school. But we know what the cost of school is, we know what the cost of living is. How likely is it that all of the girls living high-class lifestyle are making that living on their own? Maybe you don't need their work ethic to match yours if you are planning on being the provider. I would just hope you would want to marry closer to your equal than not.

If you really feel like you are limiting yourself living minimally, please re-evaluate. You aren't selling yourself short by not "living the dream" of grandeur in college. Just like Josh said, very few of the great men I've ever admired lived abundantly in college, or even the first 10 years of their marriage. I feel strongly that you're likely to find better quality people living with less than those given more.

Nat said...

my sister and her husband met in Moon. They are bomb diggity. One of my mission companions lives in Campus Plaza. He says there just aint no thang like waking up at 755 for class at 8.

I want to come out of undergrad college with some green left over which will quickly be blown on law school and a new family. I am all for being frugal now. I want a frugal woman. I will need a competently frugal woman for at least the first decade of our married life--we'll see how life goes after that.

I am willing to expend $320/month for Chathamtowne or a comparable complex, but that's really the max.

We all know that we love each other.

We all know that our economic statuses are different.

If we disagree on where we live, it is simply a matter of our means, not our love or respect for each other, nor our desire to live as a group.

-The Pragmatist

DRock said...

I must do what Elder Kikuchi told me to, no matter what the cost.

J. Guest said...

Touche.

 
src="http://www.google.com/calendar/images/ext/gc_button1_en.gif"">">